With the use of Manage Metadata you can create a navigation structure and update it globally to all site collections at once, the steps described below work for SharePoint Online and SharePoint On-Premises.
Open the Term Store Management Tool
First we need to create the global term store, to reproduce the steps in this article you must be a Term Store Administrator.
- Sign in to Office 365
- Go to the SharePoint Admin Center
- From the left navigation click on Term Store
- Open the Central Administration
- Click on Application Management
- Click on Manage Service Applications
- Locate the Manage Metadata Service and click on it
Create the Global Navigation
The steps below are the same for SharePoint Online and SharePoint Server.
- Click on the root Taxonomy and the click on New Group
- Provide a name to the new group e.g. Global Navigation
- Click on the newly created group and then click on New Term Set e.g. Navigation
- Click on the Intended Use tab
- Unckeck the option Available for Tagging
- Check the option Use this Term Set for Site Navigation and save the term set
- Click on the Term Set and then click Create Term
- Click on the Navigation tab
- On the Navigation Node Type select Simple Link or Header
Repeat the steps 7 to 9 to create your navigation structure.
Apply the global Navigation to the site collection
- On your site collection go to Site Settings
- Clink on Navigation
- For the Global Navigation select Managed Navigation
- On the Managed Navigation: Term Set click on Create Term Set, this option will create a local term set that will be onlyavailable for this site collection.
- Click on Term Store Management Tool
- Click on the newly created Term Set
- Select Pin Term with Children
- Expand the global navigation Term Set
- Select the Term to add to the navigation
Repeat the steps 7 to 9 to all the navigation items.